Hey, y’all! Today I’m excited to be sharing one of my signature recipes: my southern rice and vidalia onion casserole. This ain’t no ordinary casserole, y’all. It’s the casserole.Jump to Recipe
Rice and Vidalia Onion Casserole
- 6 vidalia onions medium-sized, chopped
- 20 oz frozen brown rice cooked (tip: buy microwaveable rice)
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1.25 c. gruyere cheese
- .5 c. Swiss cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Over medium heat, melt a stick of butter. Add in chopped onions with a liberal amount of kosher salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook until caramelized, 25 minutes (approximately).
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Add heavy cream, 1 cup of gruyere cheese, and .25 cup of Swiss cheese to the onions. Stir into well-combined and the cheese is melted. Add paprika, parsley, cream of mushroom soup, and rice. Mix. Add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add mixture to a greased baking dish and top with the remaining .25 cups of both gruyere and swiss cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes and broil on high for 1-2.
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
Keep Up With JCP Eats
Thank you so much for visiting the blog today! I’d love to keep in touch via social media. You can follow my content on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Tik Tok, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I also author a sister website to JCP Eats, Unabashedly Southern, on which I write about southern lifestyle. Read Unabashedly Southern here.
Enjoy my Rice and Vidalia Onion Casserole? Check out my other recipes here!