Hey, y’all! I love visiting our local Indian restaurants here in Louisville; their dishes are complex and feature so many layers of flavor. After many orders of spicy chicken curry, I decided I wanted to learn how to make it on my own. The result? My newest recipe: Spicy Chicken Curry, which pairs perfectly with Minute® Jasmine Rice! I know you’re going to love it—and you’ll be surprised by how approachable of a recipe that it is!
This post has been sponsored by Minute® Rice. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe with Minute® Rice
About Minute® Rice
My favorite accompaniment to my Spicy Chicken Curry—and to many of my recipes—is Minute Rice. Why? It’s the perfect solution for quick meals. Making rice in the traditional way is a daunting task, as it takes so long. Minute Rice delivers the same delicious quality rice in a fraction of the time (5 minutes!). Without worrying about rice preparation, we all can get the most out of our mealtime. This versatility in my cooking is very much appreciated for my fast-paced lifestyle.
You’ll see the Minute Jasmine Rice 12 oz box featured in this recipe, though Minute boasts a wide array of varieties (jasmine, white, yellow, brown, multi-grain + many more). I picked mine up at my local Kroger!
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe
For ease, I start cooking my chicken and onions in a large skillet and then add all ingredients into a slow cooker. I find this to be the easiest way!
You can either dip it out or stir it back in—completely up to you! I personally stir it back in.
The art of making Indian food requires several spices. The spices set the foundation for the beautiful, complex flavor profiles. I recommend using them all (you will have several in your pantry already) + purchasing the others, as you'll want to remake this recipe over and over!
You absolutely can! Simply stir in a mixture of cornstarch + water (a 1:2 ratio of cornstarch to water).
Absolutely! As I know many of us are on-the-go, I made this recipe larger on purpose. This portion size is perfect for meal prepping/leftovers! That said, if you don't want to make a portion this large, simply cut all ingredients by the same proportion. It would be easiest to cut it in half!
Spicy Chicken Curry
- Slow cooker
- 12 oz Minute Jasmine Rice
- 2 lbs chicken breast diced
- 2 vidalia onions chopped
- 3 c coconut milk full-fat
- 1.5 c chicken stock
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- .25 c tomato paste
- 3 jalapeños diced
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- olive oil for cooking
- Preheat slow cooker to high.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in chopped onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced chicken breast to a large bowl with chopped jalapeños, curry powder, ground coriander, chili powder, black pepper, kosher salt, ground ginger, minced garlic, garam masala, cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika, and an additional 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Using your hands, coat the chicken with all the spices evenly. Add to pan with onions and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- In your slow cooker, add chicken stock, sugar, coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Stir until well-combined.
- Add in onions + seasoned chicken breast. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over Minute Jasmine Rice + enjoy!
Purchase Minute Rice at Kroger
Grab a 12 oz box of Minute Jasmine Rice the next time you are at Kroger. I love shopping at Kroger because it’s truly a one-stop shop—the perfect destination to gather everything that you need for a recipe. While in the rice aisle, check out the many other options from Minute, too!
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
Keep Up With JCP Eats
Thank you so much for visiting the blog today! I’d love to keep in touch via social media. You can follow my content on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Tik Tok, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I also author a sister website to JCP Eats, Unabashedly Southern, on which I write about southern lifestyle. Read Unabashedly Southern here.