Homemade Sloppy Joes
Is there a comfort food more American than sloppy joes? Ditch the canned sauce and make this flavorful, delicious weeknight meal!
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 30 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 small vidalia onions diced
- 2 bell peppers diced, can substitute mini sweet peppers
- 1 can diced jalapeños 4 oz.
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- hot sauce to taste
In a dutch oven pot, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until almost browned in extra virgin olive oil. Add diced vidalia onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño peppers; cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, mustard, brown sugar, hot sauce, Worcestershire, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Cook over low-medium heat for 15 minutes; season additionally to taste. Serve on a hamburger bun + enjoy!
- If you want the sauce to be thinner, simply add a little more water.
- Choose the hamburger bun of your choice for serving.
- Other great ways to serve sloppy joe meat include on top of baked potatoes, as a topping for chili dogs, and over fries.
Sodium: 1426mgCalcium: 82mgVitamin C: 51mgVitamin A: 1466IUSugar: 14gFiber: 4gPotassium: 926mgCholesterol: 81mgCalories: 420kcalTrans Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 9gFat: 27gProtein: 23gCarbohydrates: 23gIron: 4mg