While I love southern cornbread, this Mexican Cornbread - which was my Auntie's recipe - is next-level delicious. And so easy to make!
- 1.5 c. cornmeal
- 1.5 c. mexican-style cheese shredded
- 1 can cream-style corn roughly 14 oz.
- 3 eggs
- 4 oz. green chiles
- .5 c. milk 2%
- .5 c. canola oil
Preheat oven to 450F. Place a well-seasoned (oiled) cast-iron skillet in the oven while it is warming. You want the skillet to be very hot.
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients.
One the oven has heated and the skillet is hot, pour batter into the cast-iron skillet. It should sizzle upon hitting the oil, which will help the crust be very crisp.
Bake for roughly 20 minutes. Check doneness with a toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean, it is done.
- Be sure to place your skillet in the oven as it is pre-heating. You want your skillet to be hot + sizzle upon the batter pouring in. This will help you achieve the perfect crust!
- To make the cornbread spicier, sub chiles for jalapeños or serrano peppers.
- To check the doneness of the cornbread, insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.
Calories: 540kcalCarbohydrates: 46gProtein: 18gFat: 32gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 505mgPotassium: 306mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 450IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 324mgIron: 2mg