Hey, y’all! My favorite activity this time of year is going to the local farmers markets around the state. I’ve been to many in each nook and cranny of the Commonwealth; that said, there are few – if any – that rival the Downtown Murray Farmers Market. Located in Murray, Kentucky – voted the Friendliest Small Town in America – the farmers market is chock-full of delicious, nutritious food. I’m excited to tell y’all about it today!
Downtown Murray Farmers Market
The Downtown Farmers Market exists to provide a location for farmers and crafters to promote their products directly to consumers at a reasonable price, save family farms, and stimulate the local economy. If you are in town on a Saturday morning, it’s a must-visit — and if you aren’t planning to be in town on a Saturday, it’s time to make plans!
From honey, to fresh produce, to bread fresh out the oven, to flowers — you can find a little bit of everything.
What I Purchased
Granola + Fresh Bread
Tomatoes, Green Beans, Rainbow Cauliflower
This time of year, there’s nothing that I love more than garden-fresh tomatoes. I took the tomatoes that I purchased at the Downtown Murray Farmers Market and made my southern tomato pie. I’ll share that recipe here with y’all!
Southern Tomato Pie
- 2 pre-baked pie crusts
- 3-4 medium tomatoes sliced
- 1 c Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 8 oz sharp cheddar
- 8 oz monterey jack
- 8 oz parmesan
- 4 oz diced pimentos drained
- 1/4 vidalia onion grated
- dijon mustard for basting
- garlic powder to taste
- black pepper to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- basil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice tomatoes to desired thickness and lay them flat on a paper towel. Sprinkle with kosher salt and a little sugar; the salt will absorb moisture out of the tomatoes, while the sugar will cut the bitterness (it won’t make the pie sweet). Place a second paper towel on top of the tomatoes and leave them for 5-10 minutes. Carefully apply pressure to get rid of remaining juice out of tomatoes; be careful to not squish tomatoes with applied force.
- In a large bowl, combine sharp cheddar, monterey jack, parmesan, mayonnaise, diced pimentos, freshly-grated vidalia onion, garlic powder, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Press a fork around the bottom of the pie crust to allow for better ventilation. Using a brush or a spoon, apply a thin layer of Dijon mustard to the pie crust, completely covering. Add a layer of tomatoes and top with pimento cheese mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes and broil for 2; remove pie from oven when the top is perfectly browned.
- Top with basil + enjoy!
Visit the Downtown Murray Farmers Market
When? Every Saturday May – October
Time: 7:00 – Noon
Location: Court Square, Downtown
Learn more about the Downtown Murray Farmers Market here.
About Murray, KY
Home to Murray State University, Murray was named the Friendliest Small Town in America by Rand McNally and USA Today. The enchantment of the small, southern town is abundantly clear. Smiles, big hearts, and impressionable interactions are aplenty; locally-owned boutiques and restaurants dominate the local economy; and the charm is tangible. Visit Murray to experience arts + culture, one of Kentucky’s premiere farmers markets, and a community unlike any other in the Commonwealth. It’ll feel like home.
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
Keep Up With JCP Eats
Thank you so much for visiting the blog today! I’d love to keep in touch via social media. You can follow my content on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Tik Tok, Twitter, and LinkedIn. I also author a second website, Notable Kentucky, on which I write about all things of note in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Read Notable Kentucky here.