In the midst of social distancing + COVID-19, I know many of us are cooking at home more. As such, I know we are trying to be economical in our choices + choose menus that can stretch for our families. When I think about that, my slow cooker is the first thing that comes to mind – and when I think about a dish that can be repurposed in a multitude of ways, I think of shredded chicken.
I set out to make the easiest, most flavorful Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken for y’all – and I was amazed at the amount of meals that I created with a very small investment! The goal was to create a protein that could be eaten by itself, on salads, or incorporated in many dishes.
The perfect balance of flavors comes from the incorporation of Sunkist citrus + seasonings. The addition of citrus elevates the flavor and complexity of a dish, while also having health benefits.
For this chicken, I used Sunkist Cara Cara Oranges, which offer the most Vitamin C of the Sunkist® citrus varieties, with 100% of the recommended daily intake in just one orange. They also have key nutrients like folate, fiber, and potassium in every bite. They look like Navel oranges on the outside, yet have a rich, pink hue inside due to the presence of the antioxidant, lycopene — they are very sweet + flavorful. It is no wonder Sunkist calls this The Power Orange!
Sunkist is a citrus cooperative made up of thousands of California and Arizona growers for over 125 years – since 1893, to be exact. To me, that means that they are a family of farmers that respect and depend on one another, uniting to share that special California-sunshine and high-quality citrus throughout the world. Sunkist believes in the importance of the individual farmer, which is something that I very much relate to, as I have deep roots in the farming industry here in my neck of the woods in Kentucky.
You can also find this recipe (and a plethora of other great recipes!) on the Sunkist site here !
Sunkist Citrus Slow Cooker Chicken
4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 Sunkist Cara Cara Oranges
1.5 c. Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
Lemon Pepper Seasoning, to taste
Garlic Powder, to taste
Onion Powder, to taste
Kosher Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
- Slice one Sunkist Cara Cara orange and line the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place the boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top of the sliced orange.
- Liberally season with lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper. Add 2 tbsp of dijon mustard on top of the chicken and spread evenly.
- Slice another Sunkist Cara Cara orange and place on top of the seasoned chicken.
- Add 1.5 c. of chicken broth.
- Cook on high for 3 hrs (6-6.5 hrs on low); ensure that the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F and is tender.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker, shred, and enjoy!
- Line your slow cooker with a liner – it makes cleanup SO much easier.
- As for seasoning, don’t be conservative with amounts used; that said, use classic seasonings so the chicken will be versatile & perfect for repurposing throughout the week.
- The shredded chicken can be enjoyed immediately or can be kept in the refrigerator for around 3 days.
I think y’all – and your families! – will love this chicken. Though you can use it in many forms, I wanted to show y’all three of my favorite ways to use it:
My homemade Chicken Enchiladas (my favorite!):
Citrus Chicken Tacos:
Citrus Chicken Tostadas:
Happy cooking, y’all!
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
FTC: This post was kindly sponsored by Sunkist®; all opinions expressed, as always, are my own.