As we are all quarantined and social distancing, I know that many (including myself even!) are spending more time in the kitchen. As such, I wanted to provide you with a quick recipe that has turned into one of my favorites: my Sunkist Mandarin Maple-Glazed Brussels Sprouts.
It’s the perfect side dish — or, if you’re like me, you’ll want to eat a majority of the pan as your entree.
I won’t judge you either way, y’all!
The key to these Brussels sprouts? The balance of flavors. Maple syrup, bacon, and shallot = a divine trio, while the star ingredient that brings it all together – Sunkist Delite® Mandarins – heightens the recipe with citrus notes. You’ll never make Brussels sprouts the same way again!
I’ve featured Sunkist Delite® Mandarins in a recipe before here on the blog; they are a staple in my home.
Sunkist is a citrus cooperative that has been supporting California growers for over 125 years; their products are high-quality, can be found at your local Kroger, are incredibly sweet, and are extremely versatile.
Sunkist Mandarin Maple-Glazed Brussels Sprouts
2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, halved and trimmed
3-4 Sunkist Delite® Mandarins, juiced and zested
1 shallot, diced
8 slices of bacon, chopped
6 tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
- Wash Brussels sprouts, cut in half, and trim as needed.
- Cook bacon in a skillet or in the oven (I prefer to cook it in the oven); allow to cool and chop.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add extra virgin olive oil and the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add shallot and cook simultaneously.
- After cooking for 5-10 minutes (until the sprouts are starting to brown), add Sunkist Delite® Mandarin juice and continue to cook until the sprouts are fully tender (5 minutes or less).
- Add chopped bacon and maple syrup, evenly distributing over the sprouts. Cook for an additional 60-90 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy!
As always: Happy Eating, Happy Traveling, Happy Living – and in this case, Happy Social Distancing!
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
FTC: This post is not sponsored.