There is no food that I love more than chicken salad. It is reminiscent of my childhood, of my youth, and while simple, it is immensely delicious. While there are many varieties that I love, I don’t think that a classic, southern chicken salad can be rivaled. It’s thick, flavorful, and should – in my opinion – have a grape in every bite.
This chicken salad recipe is perfect to be served at a party with artisanal crackers, makes the perfect sandwich, pairs fantastic with celery and other raw vegetables, yet is best served on a buttery croissant.
Warning: you’ll want more than one.
JC's Southern Chicken Salad
1 Rotisserie Chicken (I use the white meat only. All you need to do is a rough chop, as it will be added to your stand mixer)
3 (or 4!) large stalks of celery, diced
3 c. purple seedless grapes, halved
1 1/8 c. mayonnaise (can add more for desired consistency)
1/2 c. sour cream
1.5 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
Bibb lettuce, washed
- Remove white meat from rotisserie chicken; chop roughly and add to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Thoroughly wash grapes and celery; cut the grapes in half and dice the celery, adding both to the stand mixer bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the same bowl. Gently fold in all ingredients with a spatula.
- Mix on the lowest power setting until everything is evenly combined. Stop frequently to stir with your spatula, being careful to not over-mix. If the mixture needs more mayonnaise, salt, or pepper, add at your discretion.
- Slice croissants in half, add washed bibb lettuce, and add desired amount of chicken salad.
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe – it’s one of my all-time favorites. It is only made better by placing the finished croissants on my custom “Hey, y’all!” wood serving tray/platter. It was kindly gifted to me by Bluegrass Tables, a local business to Central Kentucky. They make custom-made furniture, wood turning bowls, candleholders, and other small goods – and I can’t recommend them enough! Everyone that has seen the board that they sent me has complimented it; it’s the hit of the party!
Find Bluegrass Tables on Instagram here.
As always: Happy Eating, Happy Traveling, Happy Living.
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
FTC: This is not a commissioned post; I did, however, receive the board from Bluegrass Tables as a gift. All opinions expressed are my own.