Recently over on my Instagram, I shared the winner of the 2019 Kentucky Derby Burger Competition (brought to you by the Kentucky Beef Council + held at Kroger). This year was an immense privilege because I got to be one of the judges!
Lori Poe of Montgomery County, Kentucky submitted this year’s winning burger. The Chimichurri Churchill Burger is a very interesting take on the classic — it features avocado, salsa golf, chimichurri, and is wrapped in a gorgeously browned tortilla. Simply put, it is delicious!
Full creative credit goes to Lori Poe; however, I had to share the recipe with y’all! All ingredients can be found at your local Kroger. As always, Kroger is your one-stop shop this Derby Season!
Lori Poe's Chimichurri Churchill Burger
- 2 pounds Kentucky Cattlemen’s ground beef
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 – 1/4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 6 flour tortillas, burrito size
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, divided
Salsa Golf Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons pimentos, drained, and patted dry
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1- 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- All ingredients are combined in a bowl until well-mixed.
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
(best if made day in advance)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Shape beef into 1/3 pound round patties.
- Place 3 patties in a skillet over medium heat, cooking for 10-12 minutes, or until 160o F.
- Warm tortillas 20-30 seconds or so individually in skillet.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to skillet – on medium – to melt and spread around pan.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of Salsa Golf in center of tortilla and top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese blend.
- Top this with the burger.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of Chimichurri Sauce on burger and add sliced avocado
- Top with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese blend.
- Fold tortilla over the top of the burger and fold it over until it is completely covered with the tortilla.
- Place the tortilla, folded side down, in the buttered skillet until it is lightly browned.
- Flip and brown the second side.
You’ll love this recipe — and upon having a bite, you’ll realize as to why it won the competition this year!
As always: Happy Eating, Happy Traveling, Happy Living!
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
FTC: This is not a sponsored post; however, as always, all opinions are my own.