My best friend Shelby, along with Evie, recently hosted a belated 24th birthday party for me here in Louisville; I was out of the country on my actual birthday, May 11th. The party was cactus-themed, which if you know me, you are aware of how iconic that is. Cupcakes, champagne, and personalized toasts from the guests, some of the most important people in my life – what a blessing! I am immensely grateful for the talented, amazing, loving people that are in my life.
There have been many new faces around JCP Eats as of late – thus, as I begin year 24 of my life, I thought that I would take this opportunity to tell y’all 24 facts about me.
- My name is Jacob C. Phelps – however, I go by JC. I didn’t pick up this habit until my father, the late JC Phelps, died when I was 15 years old. Going by JC is a way that I honor his memory and legacy; furthermore, it enables me to maintain a level of connectivity with him in my present life.
- I strongly believe in simple food, for it can often be the most palatable. My three favorites are good cheese, good bread, and lobster.
- Though I’m not much of a drinker, my go-to is a gin and tonic with two limes (a non-negotiable).
- I graduated from Centre College with degrees in Economics and Finance. From there, I obtained my MBA from the Gordon Ford College of Business at Western Kentucky University. Currently, I am enrolled as a full-time law student at the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville.
- I have many professional goals in life. First and foremost, I want to be an attorney, preferably in the corporate or financial world; eventually, I would love to open up my own practice. Alongside that, it would be a dream to also be a part-time college professor. Lastly, I don’t see JCP Eats going anywhere – it’s my passion. I never plan to give up this job. I’m all about that #MultipleHustles life.
- If I could time travel back to one event, I would go back to move and groove at Woodstock.
- My family has deep roots to the Commonwealth of Kentucky, tracing back to Daniel Boone and Ft. Boonesborough. When we left the fort, we set up base in modern-day Russell County, Kentucky. Phelps Acres Farm was homesteaded in 1798 and I was proudly raised on that very land. I look forward to living on the farm once again in the future.
- I am an avid bargain shopper – vintage shopping, estate sales, thrifting, and discount stores are my jam. It would be really fun if I could incorporate that into the lifestyle section of my website.
- My journey in food blogging, social media, and Instagram started out of eating disorder recovery. I started taking photos of my food to change my relationship with food. The personal growth that JCP Eats has catalyzed in my life is a blessing – and one that I am forever indebted to.
- I am a budding world traveler. I have been to several countries, 16 at the moment, yet my goal is to hit 100. My next country will be in June – voy a Cuba! The next destinations that I have my sights set on are Iceland, England, Ireland, Jamaica, and Aruba.
- One of my goals is to start a nonprofit that continues my great-grandmother’s devotion to literacy in Southern Kentucky and Appalachia. I want this to be a way for both myself and future generations of my family to continue our devotion to philanthropy.
- Fact: I need a fan on me at all times; also, I keep my apartment at 63 degrees.
- I am a very talkative person – an extrovert to say the least. I think this comes from my experiences as a child. When I was born, the majority of the muscles in my mouth were undeveloped. This led to intensive speech therapy, speech hangups, and, ultimately, the inability to speak at times. Verbalization is thus something that I will never take for granted and is the reason why I love to strike a conversation and never know a stranger.
- One of my inspirations for pursuing a legal career is Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The Notorious RBG is a powerhouse – and one that has inspired me on a plethora of levels.
- I have a strong, unwavering obsession with cacti and succulents. My apartment is full of them!
- I once crashed a post-wedding celebration in New Orleans, Louisiana. So much fun!
- I came out as a homosexual at the age of 18 – I was a first year student at Centre College. Luckily, I had an overall good experience and I haven’t looked back since.
- In the food world, I am inspired by the Barefoot Contessa. Ina’s cooking is simple, refined, yet extremely elegant. I very much relate to her style.
- I am known for my sandals – I wear them all year. Unless I have to be formal, catch me in my Rainbows, my Birkenstocks, my Tevas, or my Chacos. No apologies.
- I am a major TV buff. My favorite shows include Sex and the City, Parks and Recreation, RuPaul’s Drag Race, the Office, Gilmore Girls, Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, the Barefoot Contessa, Grace & Frankie, Friends, Gossip Girl, and most currently, Riverdale.
- Music is a big part of my life. My most listened to album is “Sound and Color” by the Alabama Shakes.
- When I am not taste testing for JCP Eats, my go-to meal at home is orzo. It’s simple, filling, and very customizable.
- Grocery shopping is a passion of mine. I am one of those people that walk up and down every aisle. My six must-buy items? Feta cheese, lemons, cotton candy grapes, orzo, cucumbers (especially English cucumbers!), and Grey Poupon Country Dijon Mustard.
- My blood is comprised of sweet tea and Diet Coke; both are necessary for a life well-lived. Case closed.
I hope that these facts enable y’all to feel more connected to me. I’m not an online account, I’m a person. A Kentuckian with varied tastes, quirks, and idiosyncrasies. It’s an honor to share my life on a daily basis online and I consider it to be an utmost privilege to get to know all y’all along the way. Thanks for your impact during the last year of my life – cheers to year 24!
As always, Happy Eating, Happy Traveling, Happy Living!
Y’all come back now, ya hear?
FTC: I was not compensated for this post. I, at times, am fortunate enough to receive accommodations in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own.